Friday 19 November 2010

The Start of Something New

Arriving at Buck’s New University on the first day of induction week or “fresher’s week” was like being 11 years old again on your first new day at school where you don’t know anyone. It was definitely quite a nerve-wracking experience. However, this was short lived. I had originally registered onto the Business and Retail Management course as I am a very girly girl and fashion and retail has always been a passion of mine and something I would be interested in getting into in the future. However, due to the lack of numbers, the university could unfortunately not continue with the course. What a start to induction week! I hadn’t even been at the university for a week yet, and there were already problems! Initially, I was quite disappointed with the university that they hadn’t informed me of this sooner and I would now have to choose a new course in the matter of days.
However, with the help of Ruth Hickmott (Head of the Marketing Department), I was able to consider other options I could enjoy. I attended a brief meeting with her and she made me feel relieved as she gave me a detailed insight into what other courses were on offer but would still catch my interest. Eventually, the course I decided to switch to was Business and Marketing Management, which I was happy with.
During the week, the university had set up a range of useful workshops and lectures to help us be more prepared for the year ahead of us. They were fun, light and enjoyable, a great way to get the new students or “freshers” involved. They gave me and thousands of other new students the opportunity to feel more confident with all the new facilities available to us. It also helped give me an easy transition into university life. It was also much easier to meet new friends this way. Also, I attended a workshop on how to use the computers and blackboard system within the university, this made me feel more confident as I was aware how everything worked and was able to take advantage of the university facilities in the best way possible.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed induction week, although it was rather shaky to begin with, I can’t wait to get started now and officially meet all my new course mates! Come back next week to see what happens.
Please do not hesitate to comment on any of my blog posts. Hope to hear back from you.
Erica.

No comments:

Post a Comment